Book 5: This is the account of Shem
Continuation of Chapter 10:1 And unto them were sons born after the flood. 2. The sons of Japheth;
Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras. 3. And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz,
and Riphath, and Togarmah. 4. And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim. 5. By these
were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands, every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.
6. And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan. 7. And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah,
and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtecha and the sons of Raamah, Sheba, and Dedan. 8. And Cush begat Nimrod.
He began to be a mighty one in the earth. 9. He was a mighty hunter before Yahweh, wherefore it is said, Even
as Nimrod the mighty hunter before Yahweh. 10. And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and
Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar. 11. Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the
city Rehoboth, and Calah, 12. 12. and Resen between Nineveh and Calah. The same is a great city.
13. And Mizraim begat Ludim, and Anamim, and Lehabim, and Naphtuhim, 14. and Pathrusim, and Casluhim,
(out of whom came Philistim,) and Caphtorim. 15. And Canaan begat Sidon his firstborn, and Heth, 16.
and the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgasite, 17. and the Hivite, and the Arkite, and the Sinite, 18.
and the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite, and afterward were the families of the Canaanites
spread abroad. 19.
And the border of the Canaanites was from Sidon, as you come to
Gerar, to Gaza,
as you go, to Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, even to Lasha. 20. These are the sons of Ham,
after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.
21. To Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber, the brother of Japheth the elder, to him were children born.
22. The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram. 23. And the children of Aram; Uz,
and Hul, and Gether, and Mash. 24. And Arphaxad begat Salah, and Salah begat Eber. 25. And to Eber were born two
sons, the name of one was Peleg, for in his days was the earth divided and his brotherís name was Joktan.
26. And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah, 27. And Hadoram, and Uzal, and Diklah,
28. And Obal, and Abimael, and Sheba, 29. And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab. All these were the sons of Joktan.
30. And their dwelling was from Mesha, as you go to Sephar a mount of the east. 31. These are the sons of Shem,
after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations. 32. These are the families of the sons of
Noah, after their generations, in their nations, and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood.
Chapter 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. 2. And it came to pass, as
they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar and they dwelt there. 3. And they said
one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had
they for mortar. 4. And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven,
and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. 5. And Yahweh came
down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men built. 6. And Yahweh
said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language, and this they begin to do,
and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one anotherís speech.
8. So Yahweh scattered them abroad from there upon the face of
all the earth, and they left off to build the city.
9. Therefore is the name of it called Babel, because Yahweh
did there confound the language of all the earth,
and from there did Yahweh scatter them abroad upon the face
of all the earth.
10. These are the generations of Shem:
End of Book 5