Book 4: The account of Shem, Ham and Japheth
Continuation of Chapter 6:9 Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with
Elohim. 10. And Noah begat three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth. 11. The earth also was corrupt before Elohim,
and the earth was filled with violence. 12. And Elohim looked upon the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all
flesh had corrupted His way upon the earth. 13. And Elohim said to Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me,
for the earth is filled with violence through them and behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
14. Make you an ark of gopher wood. Rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with
pitch. 15. And this is the fashion which you shall make it of. The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the
breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits. 16. A window shall you make to the ark, and in a cubit
shall you finish it above and the door of the ark shall thou set in the side thereof, with lower, second, and third
stories shall you make it. 17. And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh,
wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven, and every thing that is in the earth shall die. 18. But with you will
I establish my covenant, and you shall come into the ark, you, and your sons, and your wife, and your sonsí wives
19. And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shall you bring into the ark, to keep them alive with you,
they shall be male and female. 20. Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing
of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come to you, to keep them alive. 21. And take you to you of all
food that is eaten, and you shall gather it to you, and it shall be for food for you, and for them.
22. Thus did Noah according to all that Elohim commanded him, so did he.
Chapter 7:1 And Yahweh said to Noah, Come you and all your
house into the ark, for you have I seen
righteous before me in this generation. 2. Of every clean beast you shall take to you by sevens, the male and his
female, and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
3. Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female, to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
4. For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights and every living
substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth. 5. And Noah did according unto all that
Yahweh commanded him. 6. And Noah was six hundred years
old when the flood of waters was upon the earth.
7. And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sonsí wives with him, into the ark, because of the
waters of the flood. 8. Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that
creeps upon the earth. 9. There went in two and two to Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as Elohim
had commanded Noah. 10. And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
11. In the six hundredth year of Noahís life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same
day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
12. And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.
13. In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noahís wife,
and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark. 14. They, and every beast after his kind, and all the
cattle, and every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every
bird of every sort. 15. And they went in to Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath
of life. 16. And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as Elohim had commanded him and
Yahweh shut him in.
17. And the flood was forty days upon the earth and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was
lifted up above the earth. 18. And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth, and the ark
went upon the face of the waters. 19. And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth, and all the high hills,
that were under the whole heaven, were covered. 20. Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail, and the
mountains were covered. 21. And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of
beast, and of every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth, and every man. 22. All in whose nostrils was the
breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. 23. And every living substance was destroyed which was upon
the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven, and they were
destroyed from the earth and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. 24. And the waters
prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.
Chapter 8:1 And Elohim remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him
in the ark, and Elohim made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters assuaged. 2. The fountains also of the
deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained. 3. And the waters returned
from off the earth continually and after the end of the hundred and fifty days, the waters were abated.
4. And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.
5. And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month, in the tenth month, on the first day of the month,
were the tops of the mountains seen.
6. And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made,
7. and he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth.
8. Also he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters were abated from off the face of the ground.
9. But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned to him into the ark, for the waters
were on the face of the whole earth. Then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in to him into
the ark. 10. And he stayed yet other seven days, and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark. 11. And the
dove came in to him in the evening and lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf plucked off. So Noah knew that
the waters were abated from off the earth. 12. And he stayed yet other seven days and sent forth the dove,
which returned not again to him any more.
13. And it came to pass in the six hundredth and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the
waters were dried up from off the earth and Noah removed the covering of the ark, and looked, and behold,
the face of the ground was dry. 14. And in the second month, on the seven and twentieth day of the month,
was the earth dried. 15. And Elohim spoke to Noah, saying, 16. Go forth of the ark, you, and your wife, and
your sons, and your sonsí wives with you. 17. Bring forth with you every living thing that is with you, of all
flesh, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth, that they may breed
abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply upon the earth.
18. And Noah went forth, and his sons, and his wife, and his sonsí wives with him. 19. Every beast, every creeping
thing, and every fowl, and whatsoever creeps upon the earth, after their kinds, went forth out of the ark.
20. And Noah built an altar to Yahweh, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered
burnt offerings on the altar. 21. And Yahweh smelled a sweet savour,
and Yahweh said in His heart, I will not
again curse the ground any more for manís sake, for the imagination of manís heart is evil from his youth.
Neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done. 22. While the earth remains, seedtime
and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Chapter 9:1 And Elohim blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and
replenish the earth. 2. And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon
every fowl of the air, upon all that moves upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea, into your hand are
they delivered. 3. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you, even as the green herb have I given you
all things. 4. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. 5. And surely your blood
of your lives will I require at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man. At the hand of every
manís brother will I require the life of man. 6. Whosoever sheds manís blood, by man shall his blood be shed, for
in the image of Elohim made He man. 7. And you, be you fruitful, and multiply, bring forth abundantly in the earth,
and multiply therein.
8. And Elohim spoke to Noah, and to his sons with him, saying, 9. And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you,
and with your seed after you. 10. And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of
every beast of the earth with you, from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth. 11. And I will establish
my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood, neither shall there any
more be a flood to destroy the earth.
12. And Elohim said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature
that is with you, for perpetual generations. 13. I do set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a
covenant between me and the earth. 14. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the
bow shall be seen in the cloud. 15. And I will remember My covenant, which is between me and you and every l
iving creature of all flesh, and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16. And the bow
shall be in the cloud and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between Elohim and
every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. 17. And Elohim said unto Noah, This is the token of the
covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.
18. And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, and Ham is the father of
Canaan. 19. These are the three sons of Noah and of them was the whole earth overspread. 20. And Noah began
to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard, 21. And he drank of the wine, and was drunken and he was
uncovered within his tent. 22. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two
brethren without. 23. And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went
backward, and covered the nakedness of their father, and their faces were backward, and they saw not their
24. And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done to him.
25. And he said, Cursed be Canaan, a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
26. And he said, Blessed be Yahweh
Elohim of Shem and Canaan shall be his servant.
27. Elohim shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem and Canaan shall be his servant.
28. And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years.
29. And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years and he died.
Chapter 10:1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah,
Shem, Ham, and Japheth:
End of Book 4